Made Less Logical by Original Sin

Monday, February 05, 2007

Lux

A little tidbit from physics:

How a mirage works: Hot air has a different index of refraction than cooler air, so as a light ray that is reflected towards the ground goes through hotter and hotter air (like there would be on top of hot pavement), the angle that ray makes with the ground can be made more and more shallow, even to the point of heading all the way back up, into your eye.

I've been studying light recently- yesterday, the geometry of light rays; today, the arguements for light acting as a wave. The next chapter is on the more practical applications of it all- how eyes, eyeglasses, etc. work.

My car has become my little house on wheels- a study, a dining room, a bedroom, and an entertainment center all in one private but conveniently movable package. It even has central heating! :o) It's a real blessing for these days when I have mass from 7:15-8:00, class from 10-11:30 am, and not another class until 6pm.

Speaking of in-car entertainment, I've been listening to Emma by Jane Austen. The you-ought-to-become-more-civilized part of me enjoys it, while the more tomboyish side is exasperated. I'm not sure that I would like Emma very much. I abhor empty pleasantries and gettings-around-the-subject, but at the same time, I can see that the sort of frankness I'm fond of won't always do in our fallen world of misunderstandings.

Fare thee well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home