Made Less Logical by Original Sin

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Alicuius Modi...

...you just have to love that construction: a wonderful example of Latin concision. (Maybe that's not a word. But even if it isn't, you know what it means. Strunk and White in two words: precision, concision.)

The really cool thing about the picture below is that it updates itself! (I'm sure some of you are a bit less easily amused...)

It's going to be a glorious chapel.

Well, news from the Teflon corner of the globe:
I got new lenses for my glasses today. The ones they replaced were utterly shot- I'm pretty sure even an eyecare charity wouldn't be able to use them. The glass was yellow and some kind fo coating on them had partially worn off, leaving a rough and scratched-looking surface. The new ones are clear and smooth, and make me feel about two feet taller than I used to.

I also drove about 90 minutes round trip to order contacts from my county college's optical clinic, where they resell things at cost to students and faculty (for practice and training). I think it came out to about $10 less per box than retail would have been.

My brother is coming home tomorrow through Saturday from boarding school, which will be nice. I think most of our relatives are headed over to our house for Thursday. It will be so weird to have a "normal" thanksgiving and not a "guest" one... although those sure are fun. (Thanks to all the generous families who host us!) Pumpkin and apple pies are just out of the oven downstairs, and smell wonderful.

My term paper on the genetic code is coming along- I think I have a general structure. The teacher agreed to accept a paper endorsed by the "Association for the Banishment of Boring Papers" so I'm trying to make it at once an informatively clear exposition and a fun narrative to read. So far its protagonist is a little boy, the nephew of a member of the Nobel Committee, who is really intrigued by this discovery and does all sorts of reading up on it before asking his uncle the meat-and-potatoes questions about the experiments. It may, however, have an epilogue or a Part II that shows through the example of this particular discovery that thinking is a huge part of the scientific method and, aside, that liberal education is thus important for the progress of science.

Satis sit hic pro nunc.
Valete!

1 Comments:

Blogger tasik said...

Isn't it wonderful how new glasses lenses drastically change your view of the world? I can totally relate to the adding two inches...

7:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home