Made Less Logical by Original Sin

Friday, February 09, 2007

Cool Physics Stuff

Well, hello out there. I hope all motorcycle owners are healthy and happy, as well as the engaged working on a modern philosophy thesis. Best wishes to any other, too. (If there are any technician wanna-bes in the room, would they please stand up?)

Besides Mass, a few meals, an unsuccessful attempt to start a fire without much kindling, and a few phone calls, I have spent today calculating interference patterns for light (and occasionally sound) traveling through one, two, or many slits of various widths, onto walls various distances away from the slits.

I think it's pretty safe to say that I will never, never (within the next month or two) forget that the sine of an angle of (usually constructive) interference is equal to an integer multiple of the wavelength, divided by the width of the slits.

But now I'm starting in on the next chapter, calculating the powers of eyeglass lenses and such which looks so nicely like the cacluating scribbles that had me mystified at the optician's office last fall. I just "prescribed" a lens with the power +3.0 D for a fictitious lady who can't see anything within 100 cm of her face. Pretty cool.

The good news is, I was told to only cover this chapter "slightly"- so I might not be sitting on my bed with the book for the entire weekend. Yay! There is a special Mass at the cathedral on Sunday for medical workers, and I might go with my mother if time will allow it.

Fair thee well, reader.

1 Comments:

Blogger tasik said...

Wow. Sounds a lot like first semester senior lab.

And it's cool they have a special Mass for you guys, doesn't it make you feel special?

Thanks for all the good wishes, btw, and prayers. Mucho appreciated. And needed.

5:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home