Made Less Logical by Original Sin

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The cadavers are stealing my creativity...

I apologize to my loyal readership (all 0.3 of you...) for my lack of thoughts, reflections, and random one-liners. Lately it has not been unusual to arrive at the end of a day and realize that I haven't really stopped to think or reflect or pray since the minute I woke up. Someday far away the scientific speed-eating contest will end and I'll be able to chew the cud again, I hope. Until then, laudemus Te in labora nostra.

When I do stop to think, it is usually about one of my life-long favorite topics: educational theory. I'm going to pull a sickeningly Modernist trick here, though, and say that it's just not useful to think about it right now. Pitfalls of the contemporary American educational system aside, I'm studying exactly what I was trained to ignore in college: little details with no real conceptual significance. My somewhat lazy, concept-seeking mind recoils at the slavery of memorizing details of a subalternate science. To act against your inclinations, though, is not always a bad thing, and I hope it will work towards rounding out my character and thought processes. I think my memory is already getting a little better.
Now what was I saying? :-)

Well, Mr. Netter and his anatomical atlas are calling my name.
Ad majorem Dei gloriam...

3 Comments:

Blogger tasik said...

Anatomical atlas. I like the metaphor. The Enya song "Sail Away" comes to mind for no particular reason.

And I resent being considered .3 of a human being. Don't do that to me.

10:16 AM

 
Blogger Adeoamata said...

Thanks, but I can't take the credit; that's what they call books of anatomy pictures.


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/1929007116/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

Speaking of atlases, did you know that the highest backbone, the one that the "globe" of the head sits on, is called the atlas? Maybe there's another reason, I don't know, but if that's the story, it's kinda neat.

How are your new workers this year?

2:10 PM

 
Blogger tasik said...

Atlas did hold up the sky for a good long time, it is true, tis only fitting he ought to hold up the human brain.

Anyway. New workers are full of enthusiasm, need to be shown which end of the shovel to hold, but are overall promising.

4:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home