Made Less Logical by Original Sin

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Greatness

Walking up the sidewalk to my dorm the other day, I felt like a freshman again. That marvelous sense of being a minnow in a very big pond is a comforting one, and I thought of all the great people who have walked over that same bit of concrete.

When we came, the sophomores were so wise and mature and big-hearted. Are there still great people here? Probably. I don't suppose there is any incredibly significant difference between the last catch of students and the current ones. Isn't it funny how the recognition of greatness depends so much on perspective?

2 Comments:

Blogger tasik said...

...and how greatness is so relative....

Funny indeed.

9:51 PM

 
Blogger Emily said...

However, there are some people who get to know us all very well and have a more objective point-of-view - that is, the faculty (i.e., tutors) did tell the class of '06 several times, at their various graduation dinners, that they were the best class that they'd seen in 10 years or better - that they were undoubtedly the class most supportive to the community.

Having witnessed the year directly following their departure, I'm inclined to think they were right. Now, it may be claimed that I was prejudiced, having been engaged to (and separated from) a member of that class at the time, but I remind you that my introverted man of choice is not the sort to have impact on a wide array of people. I could tell that the community was feeling the absence of the people in that class who formed social mainstays (and these were by no means the people I was accustomed to 'hanging out with'). I'm sure you remember who they were. :)

And as far the tutors' high praise - they don't just say that sort of thing to be nice, because the thought did occur to me that they might so I listened for them to say anything similar to that at my graduation dinners. Nothing of the kind was ever even hinted at . . .

You'll have to let me know if they say anything like that to the class you're now a member of.

6:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home